Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Favorite Recipe

I thought I would share with you my favorite recipe. I tried it for the first time in college the night of Ring Dance. I've since made it a few more times including Christmas Eve and will be making it tonight (Valentine's Day). It's from the Betty Crocker Quick & Easy Cookbook.

Ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I use more)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar (I usually use 3)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup water
4 slices tomato
4 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1. Cook garlic in butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just until garlic begins to turn golden brown. Stir in brown sugar until melted.
2. Sprinkle salt over chicken. Add chicken to skillet. Cook, turning once, until brown. Add water. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes, turning once, until chicken is glazed and no longer pink when centers of thinkest pieces are cut and liquid has evaporated. Chicken will be golden brown. Watch carefully to prevent scorching!
3. Top each chicken piece with tomato slice, cheese, and basil. Cover and heat 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.

I usually make it with sauteed garlic and broccoli. Let me know if you try and like it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - this sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Okay - so how did we not see pictures of your haircut . . . i must have picture immediately! Oh, and is Johanna getting married? When and where and to whom!? I'm so out of the loop!